Monday, August 20, 2007

IP Band Launch:The Aftermath...

Date: Saturday 18th August 2007
Place: Jean Pierre Complex
Cost: $149 masqueraders and $199 non-masqueraders

This is what…Island People's 3rd year bringing a band? That sounds about right.

So me and the crew got there around 10:45ish pm, and after I scalp…err…sold two tickets outside, we made our way inside the venue.

Now IP is KNOWN for doing some impressive shit…so when I walked under the entrance tent and saw the zebra print projection on the floor that ‘rippled’ when you walked on it, I was suitably impressed.

But that was the only thing to impress me, because after walking into Jean Pierre nothing else that reflected the theme in a big way (save for the jerseys of the committee and the project screens with the IP logo animal print).

I dunno…I was expecting some thing MORE from IP.
Some bush hang up somewhere, waterfalls, ponds, SOMETHING besides the white bed sheets blocking off the seats of the Jean Pierre Complex. But anyhoo…

So we in Jean Pierre now and de place is HOT! *fans self*
Not the ambiance was HOT eh…just the air itself. It was real warm.
Heat in de place doh back back kinda warm.
On with the presentation now.

The stage was set with some painted cloth of a cityscape giving off what I assumed to be a ‘concrete jungle’ type theme.

The presentation started promptly at 12:00am, and we were greeted with the sound of traffic (horns blowing etc.) and some people in suits on stage…concrete jungle). Then the music changes to a primal beat and the business men and woman start jumping and prancing around in an ‘animalistic’ manner, while the voice over discussed what releasing your animal instinct involved…but you could barely hear him over the loud primal music.


This part of the presentation went on for about 15 minutes, which I thought was about 10 minutes too much.

FINALLY (amen!) they done de dancing bit and the costumes came on.

Like Mystique, I can’t remember the order of the costumes, save for Black Widow, which was first and elicited lots of “oohs” and “ahhs” from the crowd.


When Mr. Black Widow come on I saw what they meant by the men’s costumes were hot. Then meh girl with the cape turn rong and the place went up. Most people agree that Sonia Mack come real good.

My thoughts on the other sections: *refers to booklet*:

Dragon Lizard: I like the look of this costume. The colour and the headpiece do give you that reptilian feel.



Kingfisher: What really caught my eye with this costume was on of the models who was either having a seizure or attempting to samba dance her way down the runway. I still haven’t figured out what she was trying to do.
The costume itself is hot with its cage bra. Lots of feathers and I like the lil tufts around the legs.

Brown bear and Polar bear: Ick. Rewind, remix, throw way…do something with that costume besides sells it to people.

I say bring a Flamingo section or a Scarlet Ibis instead.


Portuguese Man O War: Looked like a jellyfish, loved the colours and especially like the look of the frontline.

Cheetah: Looked better in real than it did in the teaser. I like the working on the bra, which isn’t jut fur, but looks like some type of beading to give you that effect.

Zebra: Nice work on the bra, same as cheetah. LOVED the ladies frontline, and the male is my pick for best male IP costume this year.

Crocodile: Kinda plain except for the shell work on the bra, headpiece and arm pieces. Does this section have a frontline?

Red Tiger: OMG! That is one helluva brazilian wax!

Egret: Bleh. Dat jacket and skirt nah wuk. Remix.

Lioness: *yawn* I dunno what it is but this costume does nothing for me. Nice neck piece though.

Silver Fox: Everybody talking bout this HOT costume, and I just can’t remember it having an effect on me. It skimpay no tail, but that’s about it.

Ah miss out any sections? *counting* Okay das it I think.

So after the presentation we were greeted to Kes the Band feat. Nadia Batson who sang to a less than appreciative, but very much into posing crowd.
I jumped and pranced (not like the dancers who were on stage earlier) and had a good time.

Overall, IP’s presentation for 2008, did not convey the same sense of excitement as their presentation for 2007.

I thought there may have been a less literal translation of “Animal Instinct”.
I mean it’s so easy to think in the box for something like that, it would have been interesting to see a section portrayed as the concrete jungle or something like that.

But then again, that’s just me.
Thus ends my review.

Oh no wait…!!
How could I forget the eye candy?
Eye candy for the ladies was very limited I thought, but as per usual in Trinidad, the eye candy for men was overflowing.

P.S. Men, enough with the metro shirts, pants and shoes nah. Please and thanks.

For more pics of the launch check Saucy's pics or triniscene.com.

6 comments:

Skettleton said...

Or hor...that is why the dancers were dressed like that? Makes sense now :|

I totally missed the seats in Jean Pierre being covered. I think i was too hot. I totally noticed the unnecessary expensive screen hanging from a crane over meh head that i musse glance at once. The one that nobody in their right mind would keep looking at unless IP was handing out neck braces by the door and nobody tell me.

Somebody need to tell the buff dude in the super duper tight shirt that it was creasing around his armpits. I agree, enough with the over metro wear...breathe budders.

afro chic said...

Dat screen over yuh head , with that HUGE crane holding it up...all I was studying was how much dey spendto rent dat crane to hold up a screen dat nobody go take on.

Anonymous said...

Mystique I was wondering the same thing, but Afro chic explained it well. And I wasnt understanding the airbrushed background atall, but concret jungle...Ok I get it now.

I still think the could of came better in terms of presentation. I will only hope that they were so caught up in making sure the complaints and suggestions were being worked on so much that it cause them to lack in the launch. Cuase you cant be both lacking in creativity and custmer service and expect people to be happy.

*my 2 cents*

D Trini in Me said...

Love Zebra, Silver Mist, Liones. I was expecting more glamour to go with their theme. And where was TnT national birds like the humming bird, the scalett ibis and flamingo?

analiesef said...

lol i still laughing over the video of kindfisher :) but the girl with the winged version real work de costume boy, made me love it more!

analiesef said...

*KINGFISHER

meh brain kinda addle at the moment....haven't had much sleep in the last 2 days