Monday, October 15, 2007

Legacy Band Launch-Passages : The Aftermath

When: Saturday 13th October 2007
Where: The anchorage/Tsunami
How much: FREE for me in VIP!


Picture this:
Sipping on drinks aplenty
Having some corn soup that tasting irie
Rubbing elbows with the rest of the VIPs
Afro Chic looking FAB! and swanky.


So I pulled some strings and asked a friend of my mom to get me two media passes for Legacy’s launch on Saturday night, that's why I really couldn’t tell you how much it was to go to Legacy’s launch. I was guessing it might have been about $80 in advance, cause scalpers were selling tickets at $60.00.

I have no idea WHY Big Mike insists on having his launches in Anchorage/Tsunami…ah mean who parties that far west anymore unless is for Insomnia.

Anyhoo, the entrance to Tsunami was draped in African print cloth, as were the committee people, and those of us going to the media launch were given some wooden beaded necklaces to wear around our necks.

I was amazed at the size of the crowd ‘backstage’ at Tsunami at 9:15ish which was the time I got there. People were drinking by the bar, lining up by the doubles man/woman and sipping on corn soup and generally having a good time.
The DJ was real getting on with his selections too…made me feel like I coulda put on a costume and jump across a stage.
Never mind that at one point during the evening, ice ran out and then shortly after that, there were no cups! In the VIP area! But this didn’t seem to dampen anyone’s spirit though.

Not long after we got there, the music stopped and some drumming began, and some young ladies were brought to the stage.

I recall the DJ saying that they represented the something something of West Africa, but they were just in the same African print skirts and tube tops. I still have no idea what was the purpose of that particular presentation, except maybe to show off how super slim/sexy/slender the models were.

About half hour after this, the costume presentation began.

Now doh get vex that I was backstage and not have shots eh.
I was taking video and pics of the costumes, my camera died, and I still have to upload my pics to my pc. But yuh know Saucy always on the ball, so you could check out her pics here and her review here.

Legacy presented 20 sections, all of which looked really nice and seemed to be of good quality with regard to the beadwork and headpieces etc.

I can’t remember the names of any, except for Shaka Zulu and The Nile, but I do remember liking the first section in white and gold, a section in blue and copper and the Strong Men and Rude Girls section Shaka Zulu.

This young lady caused quite a stir at the launch, shaking it and having a time like it was nobody’s business.
And of course who could forget the two models with the afros a la yours truly? Who say yuh cyar play mas with yuh afro…



The highlight of the night was when President George Maxwell Richards (Uncle Max) and Dr. Jean Ramjohn Richards (Aunty Jean), were invited up on stage and Unlce Max promptly secured a space next to a Masai warrior and Aunty Jean immediately went next to the Strong Man in Shaka.

Overall I found the mas to be well put together, though I think that the Legacy team would have done better to have less sections for max impact on the road, as many of their sections this year only had a few people.

As for capturing the theme of Africa, that’s another story. But what can one really expect from a beads and bikini band except for a vague reference to the theme?

Around 11 o'clock, the patrons in the VIP area were invited to go across to the still being renovated Anchorage to continue the partying. It was soon after this that I left the party and headed home.

Pics courtesy Saucy 'on the ball' Trini.

No comments: