Friday, January 16, 2009

Soca in Moka 10 - The Aftermath

Who: Soca in Moka
What: All-Inclusive
Where: Trinity College
When: Saturday 10th January 2009
How much: $475 (last year: $400.00)

This was my 9th year going to Soca in Moka. Yes...I there almost since inception! I continue to patronise Moka because they always deliver. Always.

Despite plans to leave home at 5:30pm, I ended up leaving home closer to 6:30pm instead. Got to Moka just after 7:00pm and while I was walking in, heard the last strains of Roy Cape. Well I was too glad after their sad performance the Friday night before. When I eventually got into the fete though, my dad said Roy Cape's performance was real good.
This year the fete wasn't packed as in previous years (I now there was another fete on that night) but that is not to say it was empty, far from. I was glad, cause that meant no setta line up for food and bathrooms. Aye aye...talking bout bathrooms...oh gosh no, let meh wait til ah get to that part.
Alright...

So after Roy Cape, up next was Traffik.

TRAFFIK feat. Sean Caruth, Eddie Charles, Shayne Bailey and Derson.

Hmmm...ahmm...let me think eh...wuz de best way to say this? *scratch chin*
To put is as nice and as simply as I can...Traffik was awful. Ah mean like real terrible.

Eddie came on and he missed his cue and like that just set the stage for the rest of the night. Missed cues, poorly sung/executed songs, and nothing gets me more vex dan when these singers doh know words to tunes!
My niece and nephew who are 3 years old know the words to MOST of dem songs on de radio. Eddie like he couldn't be bothered to even learn the first verse self
.
STEUPS. Hear nah. I went and eat, I visited the bathrooms...twice! And they were still performing. Traffik's set was about an hour long and that was about 55 minutes too long!
They have Derson of Synergy Soca Star Season 4 who seemed more star struck and dazzled by the lights than anything else.
Shayne Bailey has a lovely groovy soca "Sweetness" that I love too bad. Her delivery wasn't bad.
Traffik gets 1 wheelandcomeagain out of 5, ah can't give them a zero, cause ah mean after all, they show up.

IWER D'BOSS and SUPA JIGGA TC
And just in case allyuh didn't get the memo, the "big man in de business aka Iwer George aka D'Boss" and Supa Jigga TC/The King of Gag...errr...ah mean Swag" has been signed up to sing with Traffik for the Carnival season. He has (in my opinion) one decent song "We Like It" and one shit song "Ready".
But hear nah, Iwer also have some kinda magic. Iwer come on the stage and MASH UP! When ah say mash up, ah mean, MASH UP FINE FINE LIKE CHILLI BIBI.


Had me and all singing "Allyuh ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready ready"
*catches breath*
And he was joined on stage by Supa Jigga/King of Swag (more like King of tight pants) who sang his big tune "Frontline".
They were well received by the crowd.

Iwer and his sidekick Supa Jigga TC get 4.5 throw waist out of 5.


ZOELAH
You may not know the name, but I'm sure you know the song "Wine Up On Me".
Zoelah has a great voice. She started singing her tune acapella and is throat fuh so.
Zoelah gets 3.5 slow wine out of 5.



MISS ALYSHA and MISTA VYBE
Miss Alysha started off her set with the tune she sang with Faye-Ann some years ago (This is Carnival time,free yuh mind...and PARTAY). Which still sounds as sweet. SHe also sang the tune she has with Peter Ram "Coming Down". Love that song.
I was expecting Mista Vybe to perfrom his tune, "Jab Jab" as well but after Miss Alysha sang, they left.
Miss Alysha gets 3 throw waist out of 5.


KES THE BAND feat. Nadia Batson
Kes was the last band to perform for the night and they gave a very good, solid performance.
I enjoyed them much more than on Friday in St. Francois. A nice set, that was very entertaining
Ah just want to make an appeal to Nadia.
Nadia yuh's meh girl. I see yuh pics on maccobook, yuh have nice outfits and yuh's look good. Organise something nah. Season start yuh know, and this is Trinidad, people go bad talk yuh. I trying tuh tell yuh so yuh take in front before front take yuh. Nice.

KES THE BAND get 3.5 throw waist out of 5

FOOD
Well the usual array of seafood cocktails, ice cream, bake and shark, corn soup, mini roti, stuffed crab and dumplings. There was a local dessert area with chow, that I unfortunately didn't get a chance to taste.
4 burps out of 5

BAR
The bar was run by B.A.R.S International and they had everything and didn't run out. (most important)
4 glasses out of 5


BATHROOMS
I only have two words (or is it one?)...Andy Loos.
Read about them here.
Hardwood and tile floors, actual flushing toilets, swanky fixtures, mirrors and soap and cream! Best fete bathroom to date! Ever.
Bathrooms get 5 flushes out of 5.


Next fete: ONE Fete 2009!

All songs featured/linked from http://www.toronto-lime.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always look foward to your reviews, they are excellent!