Friday, March 14, 2014

My Fantasy Carnival Review

So this year I switched things up a bit, and decided to play mas with my friends who had played with Fantasy last year. 

Easy, breezy, no stress just how I like it.

My girlfriend collected my costumes for me and a few other people. She mentioned there was a lot of traffic on the road, but that is generally the case Carnival week. In her words “Long, but it moved. It was Carnival Friday”

On the Road – Monday
You know what they say about the best laid plans right? Well after my big plans to have customized Monday wear fell through on Sunday night an emergency plan had to be put in place ASAP! Thank goodness for the resourcefulness of my friends. I was able to put together a fierce look for Monday at the 99th hour! 
Fast forward to going to meet the band now.

We ran a little late to meet the band and they did not stick! We barely made it to the Savannah stage just as the band was crossing with just a few masqueraders. Even though there weren’t many of us, those who were there enjoyed it. Fantasy christened the stage on Monday morning and it was fantastic, we took our time to cross, no rush, no hassle. After we crossed the stage it seemed that all the masqueraders found the band simultaneously because the length and breadth of Victoria Avenue was filled with masqueraders. It was lovely to see how many persons rocked their Monday Wear looks, some even wearing backline costumes.

I can’t tell you much after we crossed the stage to be honest. I know there was music, drinks, level winery and even some jamishness. And this was all before the lunch stop. I’m not going to get into detail of what options there were for lunch, because I just gave my friend my chit and asked her to bring me some food. What she brought me was delicious.

We ate, burped, took pics with our friends who we saw in TRIBE and YUMA, and took a nap. Woke up, ate some ice cream, puncheon lollies, fixed our faces, used the facilities and clearly missed the call for us to move. This found a group of Fantasy masqueraders walking down Maraval Road looking for the trucks, and apparently there was some sort of homing bacon in our wristbands as we all made a right on Herbert Street (I think it was) and saw the trucks. A collective “YAYY!” went up through the masqueraders.

Monday afternoon continued along the same vibe as Monday morning… there was music, drinks, level winery and even some jamishness with a side of epicness which hinted at a great Tuesday to come.

I have no Monday pics as my camera that I thought was charged...wasn't.

On the Road – Tuesday
Got to the band at sometime o’clock just while they were still alongside Memorial Park waiting to head into the Savannah. We were right behind Wee Friends when Legacy cut us off by coming up Frederick Street (while the Marshals did nothing).

Anyhoo…I forgot to preface my Tuesday with a note about my costume. I got a gorgeously decorated corset from Richard and Anthony which was unfortunately a tad (plenty) small and had me feeling a bit self-conscious and uncomfortable.

We kept mainly to the front of the band as we approached the track and stage. I think there was an announcement that the Minister of Road, Machel was on truck #1, not sure if there was an announcement or I just saw him on the truck…anyhoo. Machel was on Truck #1 and hyped up the first set of sections in the band as they crossed. The vibes on the stage were great. I lost my friends and didn’t care.

After we crossed I went to find the trucks for a much needed drink, found my friends and we ate and continued with the band. Once we realized the band was headed back to the lunch stop, we opted to move ahead and secure a spot. Again, lunch was delicious; I had fish from Rib House. We ate, burped, and I attempted to fix the top of my corset which was threatening me with a possible wardrobe malfunction.

As I was unable to fix my top to my satisfaction, I decided to head to my hotel (home by mummy) to see if I could fix the top then return to meet the band. Bidding my friends goodbye I headed home. Once I got there however, the top just was not giving me the kind of support I wanted and I gave up the fight, took off my costume and declared my Carnival Tuesday over. I sent a text to my friends to let them know not to expect me on the road.

After about an hour long nap, I woke up to he sounds of my friends at the door. Fantasy was passing on the road, and they told me find something to put on and get my ass back out on the road. I hemmed and hawed, but eventually pulled out some Monday wear I had there (not the same one from the Monday before) and, refreshed and re-clothed, went back out to join the band as they passed through St. James.

We followed the band as they made their way through St. James and back out to Tragarete Road and the vibes in the band were never ending and the epicness hinted at on Monday was out in full force. I remember drinks flowing non-stop, wine sharing left, right and centre, someone climbing a wall with their friends, and endless fun. We left the band when they were by St. Clair Medical and made our way to the hotel (home by mummy), tired and happy.

Things I learnt this Carnival:
1. Always go with my instinct when it comes to my costume
2. While sequin bags are pretty in the sunlight, they wreck havoc on your tights
3. Fishnets over tights FTW!
4. Stacked heel boots FTW! My feet never felt better!
5. Things don’t always go the way you planned, so always have a plan B
6. My friends are truly awesome!

No comments: