Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Renovations Update: Kitchen

It's been a while since my last update and the reason for that is there was nothing really going on and things were generally just at a standstill.

I have gone through FOUR, yes I said FOUR 'cupboard men' who have all promised to "get back to me".

Is a good thing I was not holding my breath cause allyuh woulda read about me in the papers...
"Woman Dies Waiting on Men to Install Kitchen Cupboards"

Anyhoo...
Two weeks ago, I saw an ad in the newspaper for a company in Chaguanas that does kitchens by the name of Kitchen Concepts.
I visited their website and saw some stuff that looked interesting, so I made a call for directions and visited their showroom two Saturdays ago.


Sample kitchen in showroom

Sample kitchen in showroom

Sample cupboard doors in various finishes

The cupboards are made of MDF board and fused with a PVc, which makes them termite free and water resistant.
My kitchen was measured and I saw the design last week Saturday. It's a basic L shaped kitchen and it'll be a mix of light (maple) and dark coloured (tobacco) wood. Before installation though, I had to arrange to have my floor surface finished and my walls painted.

After I visited their showroom to make the final arrangements, I visited Roopnarine Tile Mart which is right down the road, and purchased tiles for the kitchen area only.

I had to make an emergency call to my tile guy to have him come and complete the tile work so that my cupboards could be installed this week.
Kitchen Concepts has promised installation in 2-3 days, which means by this weekend, I should have my kitchen installed!
Marvin the tile guy came on Monday afternoon and by the time I got home later that evening, my tiles were laid down and work was done!


My FAB! kitchen tile

View from the kitchen into dining area


I love the tile I got at Roopnarine (it's a wood finish 18 x 18 tile), so yesterday I arranged to get some more tile to complete the living room area and Marvin the tile guy is scheduled to come again this evening to finish off that part of the house. WHOO!HOO!

Tomorrow is painting day and yesterday during my lunch hour I made a trip across to Agostini Interiors to purchase my kitchen/living/dining room paint.

Many months ago, I had already picked the colours I wanted as I knew the colour scheme I had i mind, so these are my colours:


The darker shade (Rural Green) is for my focal wall where all my photos will be displayed and the other shade (Sassy Green) is for the rest of the room.

My favorite part of the renovations is coming up and that's the decorating!!
I already started purchasing some accents pieces for my kitchen and dining area, as well as looking for upholstery to cover my sofa set.

I am hoping...no, make that determined to move back into my house by the end of this month, come hell or high water!

3 comments:

Wuzdescene said...

I'm kinda going tru de same crap .... excep my crap is crappier ... cuz I'm living among the workmen!!!!! .... at least you livin somewhere else!

Love the tan sample kitchen ... very contemporary ... and keep de positive energies flowin .... you WILL move back soon :-)

Raxx - A day in the life said...

Hi I was just looking for trini blogs and came across yours, interesting stuff so far.

afro chic said...

Thanks wuzdescene. My kitchen is actually a mix of dark and light wood. :)

Welcome raxx!