Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The House Renovations Begin...

Remember sometime in November I did a post on getting FINALLY getting my house? Well this week marked the start of renovations on my humble abode.
The work to be done on the 60-year old house includes changing the roof, rewiring the entire house and re-doing all the plumbing.
Materials 'on site' (i.e. in the garage)
With work scheduled to start on the house from Monday, this weekend I found myself doing some hardware ‘browsing’. I was on the hunt for doors and tiles in particular, and my search started in Chaguanas and ended up in El Socorro.

These are some of the items that I really liked and was able to sneak a couple pics of.

$4000 sinks at CW Interiors


Doors at Roopnarine Home Centre


Vanities at Roopnarine Home Centre

As I said before work on the house was scheduled to begin on Monday and it did. Having heard many horror stories about contractors, I am determined to stay my usual positive self during this project and hope and pray and cuss that everything goes okay and stays on track.

The guys said they were coming at 8:30am bright and early Monday.
And in true contractor style they arrived just after 1 o'clock.

Work began in earnest on the roof, and they finshed that just after 11 o'clock on Monday night.


What I met when I got home

My contractor "Rope" on the roof

Halfway there


Yesterday (Tuesday), they promised to come earlier, and they did, getting there at 11:00am and working well into the night and early morning, leaving this morning at 2:00am!!

So at this point of the renovations, my roof is 99% complete and I am happy with how things are progressing.

Casualties from the renovations:
1. My beauty sleep. It hard to get any rest when all in your dreams yuh hearing hammers and electric saws.
2. The dry cough that I've been nursing since Carnival, is now full blown with all the dust in the air.
3. Relations with my neighbours, who must be cussing with all the hammering that going on into the late hours of the night and early morning.

1 comment:

GirlBlue said...

wheyyyy dem people really burning the midnight oil. May not be much on punctuality but they get an A for staying power